PBSC Urban Solutions is considered a world leader in public bike-sharing systems, with more than 47,000 bikes and 3,800 stations worldwide. Its system, which uses solar-powered wireless terminals and cutting edge technology, is sleek, easy to use, durable and offers an alternative and attractive option for those seeking urban transportation.
LVL partnered with the company to help them carry out a wide-scale upgrade of their software. Drawing upon our service design methodology expertise, our team executed a complete overhaul of the system’s UX and revisited the visual design of the product to further enhance the bike sharing experience.
Not only does the new software simplify the rental process, it also overcomes the scalability challenge facing this new generation of product through its reliance on a system that is shareable across cities and that can be skinned via a CMS tool. As for the end result, PBSC can now more efficiently deploy its kiosks and offer added autonomy to the cities that mange them.
Deployment began in the summer of 2016 in Chicago (476 stations active and 130 more coming), Guadalajara (200 stations), Aspen (30 stations) and Toronto (200 stations). Product highlights include:
- -Rent a Bike: Allows users to rent one or more bikes for a one-way trip; for 72 hours; or 30 days.
- -Check your Dashboard: Allows users to identify themselves and view their plan details (time remaining, bike allowances, rental history).
- -Redeem Promo Code: Grants a discount on a transaction.
- -Extend Your Ride: Resolves the issue of arriving at a station only to find that all the spots are taken by giving the user extra time to reach a nearby station.
- -Interactive Map: Allows users to plan their itinerary before starting their ride.
Learn more about PBSC